Many people see Christianity as a religious belief system or something strictly spiritual. It’s really a marriage relationship between man and God. God offers mankind a choice — either blessing and life for obedience or cursing and death for disobedience. Everyone makes a choice between life and death by what they do whether they realize it or not.
Man is to demonstrate his love for God by obeying God’s commands, statutes, and ordinances in the physical realm. These physical commands, statutes, and ordinances are often related to or represent spiritual things. For example:
- Physical circumcision removes the physical foreskin of the flesh but circumcision of the heart is a spiritual circumcision which removes the spiritual fleshly nature.
- The Levitical Sacrifices atoned sin and guilt of trespasses while representing the substitutionary sacrifice of Jesus for those who will believe in Him, the purification of the righteous, the consummation of the wicked by fire, the robes of righteousness for God’s people, and the peace that will eventually be experienced in the kingdom of God.
- Ritual immersion was to remove various forms of ritual uncleanness.
- Baptism pictures the death of the old man and resurrection to walk in newness of life.
- Forbidden mixtures teach us that Christians are not to be in relationships with non-believers that would cause us to live more like the world and not as God would have us to live.
- Celebrating the feasts of the Lord celebrates the steps of God’s plan of redemption for mankind.
- The Lord’s Supper causes us to remember the bride price Jesus paid when He died on the cross and that He will return for His bride when the Father says the time is right.
- Observing the weekly Sabbath is a type of the rest we will experience during the Millennial Kingdom when Jesus reigns in Jerusalem.
Deuteronomy 4:6 says, “Therefore be careful to observe them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples who will hear all these statutes, and say, ‘Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.’” NKJV
Most men do not consider God’s laws to be wise today but foolish. They fail to understand that obedience to God’s laws brings peace and harmony between God and men. If man could understand the meaning of God’s laws, they would also be able to stand in awe of the work of Jesus Christ and see the complexity of the interwoven types and shadows found in God’s word.
Do you think Christianity:
- Is just a spiritual belief system or experience?
- Requires obedience to God’s commandments?
- Is something else?